About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Monday, November 24, 2014

The Skinny on TOO MUCH SKIN


Can we talk about nudity today, friends?  A tough subject, perhaps.  A bit taboo, maybe, or at least it used to be.
Naked was once a term found in the same sentence with words like ‘forbidden,’ ‘prohibited,’ ‘unacceptable.’  There’s a reason underwear used to be called ‘unmentionables.’  Since Adam and Eve listened to that sneaky snake and ate that darn apple and realized they were running around in a garden without any clothes on, people have tried very hard to keep important areas of their bodies covered, concealed, and contained. 
So WHAT IS UP with nudity these days, people?  Seriously, how did the naked human body become something so easily shared?  So readily flaunted it’s as if modesty never existed . . . as though nothing is sacred, special, saved? 
What happened to privacy?  What happened to restraint?  How in the world did we come to equate nakedness with confidence? 
Confidence?
Sharing pictures of your naked body with the entire world doesn’t scream confident to me.  It screams desperate.  It screams impulsive.  It screams . . . lost.  And not Have you lost your panties?   Not Have you lost your mind?  But lost, as in . . . Have you lost your sense of self-worth?  Have you misunderstood what it means to have respect, both for yourself and from others?  Have you forgotten you are so deeply loved by God that you don’t need anyone else to adore you?  
Those people?  Those people gawking at your nakedness on their computers and their phones and in magazines?  They might be gazing at you and staring at you and ogling you.  They might be wishing they could talk to you or touch you or even be you.  But they don’t respect you.  They don’t love you or adore you.  They don’t even know you.  And yet, you’re sharing yourself with them so casually, so carelessly . . . without any real consideration for what it means to be naked in front of another human being.
There are headlines about cleavage and curves.   There are articles about nip slips and side boobs.  Stories of nude photographs leaked to millions come out so frequently that teenage girls all over the country now think it’s okay to send sext messages to every boy they know on a regular basis.  Y’all, there are songs that refer to our intimate body parts as junk. 
Junk?
These parts . . . they are given to another in our most personal and vulnerable moments.  They connect us to those we have committed to love though everything.  They express our desire and they fit together perfectly to create generations.  They bring forth life and provide for the life they usher in.  These parts?  They are special.  They have purpose.  They are NOT junk. 
It scares me.  All of it.  I have a daughter and a son and a husband and it scares me to death.  This frivolous overexposure.  This tolerance.  This condoning of what was once so off-limits and this relegating of our bodies, which have true value, to junk that has none.  It scares me. 
I know it’s not the biggest of our problems. There is poverty and hunger and there are millions of orphans.  There are women and children who are sold into slavery Every. Single. Day.  This nudity epidemic isn’t the only issue in the world, nor the most important, and I’m certain many might not think it an issue at all.  But shouldn’t we at least consider the possibility that we are perpetuating dangerous attitudes with our failure to address the way nudity and sex have become absolute obsessions in our culture?  Might we be fueling a fire that suggests women are merely objects of pleasure, and not worthy human beings with an abundance of gifts to offer?
In the midst of a nation spellbound by the blatant undressing of so many, how do I teach my son that a woman is to be cherished and treasured for who she is, not what she looks like?  How do I teach my daughter that she doesn’t have to bare her body, because the right people will care about her soul?  How do I remember that I don’t have to live up to a specific standard . . . that I was created in the image of God, and that’s what makes me beautiful?
The world says other things.  The world fixates on physical appearances and applauds immorality, and there is no doubt about it, in this world, sex sells. 
I live in this world, but I can’t be consumed by the deterioration of society’s values.  I must hold on to the truth.  I must teach it to my children every day, as the world bombards them from every direction, begging them to buy into the myth that attention brings happiness.
Because the truth . . . the truth of Him . . . Him.  He is the only real source of contentment in this world . . . in this life.  The truth says my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within me (1 Corinthians 6:19).  The truths says I can glorify God with my body (1 Corinthians 6:20).  The truth says I do not have to be conformed by this world (Romans 12:2).  The truth says God does not look at outward appearances, but at what matters most (1 Samuel 16:7). 
The truth is Jesus.  And grace.  And the kind of love that transcends and transforms, from the inside.  The truth is what God sees when he looks at us, and that’s what we should be sharing with others. 
Not our flesh . . .
Our hearts.