About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

I'm a football fan, though not necessarily an NFL fan.  But what does one do on Super Bowl Sunday except, you know, watch the Super Bowl?

I was doing my thing when it started.  Well, actually, Super Bowl coverage officially began this morning before noon, because why not spend an entire day watching "experts" make predictions about a game when there is really only one certainty - one team will win, the other will not.  Still, as the pre-game festivities began just minutes before kick-off, I was folding clothes and cleaning counters and taking off blue toenail polish that should have been removed at least a week ago.  My boys were settled in on the couch, the taller one having been instructed to keep the remote in hand at all times because, according to reports, every commercial for the next three hours was likely to include half naked women doing things I have no desire to explain to a nine year old on a Sunday evening (or any evening for that matter). 

I planned to watch Alicia Keys sing the National Anthem, because I like to tear up on a regular basis and I hadn't cried yet today.  But as I bustled around the kitchen with nail polish in my hand and toilet paper between my toes, I overheard someone on the television say something about Newtown, Connecticut, and I had to tune in earlier than planned.  I had to cry earlier than planned too.

"America the Beautiful" sung by the precious children of the Sandy Hook Elementary School Chorus . . .

Oh, how beautiful indeed.

America! America!
God shed his grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
from sea to shining sea!