About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Making the Magical Choice


There is much talk these days about how we choose to spend our time – with whom, doing what, in which location?  Are we filling our days with mundane responsibilities and leaving little time for just ‘being,’ and are our souls suffering for it?  Do we lack the ability to relax, to be quiet and still, to say “no” when bombarded with life’s frequent requests?

Am I overcommitted, overscheduled, over the top crazy as I attempt to manage the dolling out of my time, talents, and treasures?

Yes.

Of course.

Absolutely.

No doubt about it.

I need to add the word “no” to my vocabulary more often, like most of the moms I know.  I need more quiet, more stillness, more relaxation in my life, like most of the people I know.  I need to realize when I’m exhausted from the constant striving to get it all done, the pushing to fit it all in, the rushing around at a frantic pace because somehow, that’s become my most consistent mode of existence.

My children have a day off school next week for fall break.  We were planning to spend the long weekend at the lake.  Just the four of us, in one of my favorite places on earth, in my favorite season of the year.  Boat rides wrapped in blankets, smores by the firepit, a completely empty calendar, inbox, to-do list.  Three full days of the quiet, stillness, and relaxation my soul has been craving.  In short, my idea of pure bliss.

And then, we got a call from some very spontaneous, very generous grandparents.  They had other ideas about our fall break, and those ideas didn’t involve quiet.  They didn’t involve stillness or relaxation or anything at all my soul has been craving.  In fact, they involved just the things my soul dreads.  Airplanes, hotel rooms, lines, public bathrooms.  And a very famous mouse by the name of Mickey.

The first thing that came to my mind was one simple word . . . no. 

I wanted smores, not Space Mountain, I thought, as all sense of gratitude eluded me.

Sometimes, you need to say “no.” 

But sometimes, an unexpected offer comes along.  It might be an invitation from a friend, or a request from a teacher, or a gentle nudge from a pastor encouraging you to try something new.  It might even be a revelation from God – one you know is going to bring choices and challenges you aren’t sure you can handle, and you’re confused and scared and angry and you wish He wasn’t making the path so clear.

Sometimes, the unexpected offer comes from people you love.  It’s no revelation, just a simple request, and it means a change of plans.  It means you must wait a little while longer for what your soul craves, because you know that in the waiting, there will be great joy.  There will also be roller coasters, increased anxiety, very little sleep, and a whole lot of germs.  But more importantly, there will be the anticipation of a secret to share, the moment the surprise is revealed, the enormous grins on their faces, and the certainty that comes from knowing . . .

Sometimes, you gotta say YES!!!

Disney World, here we come!