About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

If You Turn 'Mom' Upside Down, It Says WOW!!!





God made me a mom and I’m so glad and grateful and, sometimes . . . even all these eleven plus years later . . .  alarmed. 


This job?   This permanent role?  This relentless responsibility?


It’s Just.  So.  BIG.


Carrying life and then caring for life for their whole life and mine.


The sleepless nights never end.


I held them in my belly for all those months and in my arms for what felt like years, but it’s the heart that does the heavy lifting every second of every day of every week forever.  And the heart, though it beats strong and constant, it breaks easy and often.  It swells with each milestone they reach, the fullness of love, joy, and pride overflowing as I stand in awe and witness their growth, only to shatter with the realization that every act of independence they take is just another good-bye.


Motherhood is the most difficult thing I’ve ever done. 


It’s also the most extraordinary.


So I’ll stay up all night if I have to . . . for their whole life and mine.  The heart will ache and the heart will break.  But more than anything, it will beat with the certainty that motherhood is an incredible blessing from God, and next to Jesus, Charlie and Libby are the greatest gifts I’ll ever know.


Happy Mother’s Day sweet friends!  I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend celebrating the greatest, most challenging and complicated and wondrous and exhilarating job in the entire world!!!