About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

You're Invited!

How many times have I heard my children call for me in the last ten years? 

“Moooommmmmm . . .”
“Mom?”
MOM!
Too many times to count, that’s how many.
Sometimes, they don’t really need me.  They call my name just to check, to make sure I’m close enough, within earshot, ready to lend a hand if necessary.   
Sometimes, they call for help.  Fix something, Mom.  Make something, tie something, clean something, find something.  They require assistance, and they require it from me. 
Sometimes, they call because they want me to watch them do something, or show me something already done.  They need me to see, to notice, to break from my life and focus on theirs.
The truth?  I can tune out my children quite easily when they call my name and I know their request can probably wait.  Almost eleven years into this incredible journey of parenthood, perhaps it was inevitable that I would develop the ability to ignore my own offspring in my often preoccupied state.  I get busy doing whatever it is I think I should be doing, and I put off responding to the one name I have heard more than any others in the last decade, certain the ones calling it will move on without me so I can continue in my busyness.
But sometimes . . . sometimes one of my children will call my name with a tone in their voice that begs nothing but immediate attention.  You’ve heard that tone before, haven’t you?  It has an intensity . . . an urgency to it that you simply cannot ignore.  You hear it and instantly understand there is no time for delay - you must rush to answer the call.  Nothing else matters when you hear your child calling you like that.  The world around you fades to black and you drop everything, intent only to reach the one calling, your sole purpose to be with him as quickly as possible.
Jesus is calling your name like that, my friends.
He’s calling mine too, and sometimes . . . most times . . . I choose to disregard his call.  I go on with my life as if whatever I’m doing is more important than the most important thing in my life.  And the craziest thing about my decision to ignore the One who loves me most is the fact that Jesus doesn’t need me.  There is no emergency he can’t solve on his own.  He isn’t asking for my comfort or my help or for validation.  He just wants me to sit at his feet . . . and stay awhile.     
Run. To. Me.
That’s his only request.  So simple and sweet and sacred.
An invitation from my Savior.  And the only response it requires is that I show up.
Lord, let me heed your call.  Let me show up when you whisper my name.