About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Gobble, Gobble, Give, Give


I will praise God's name
in song
and glorify him
with Thanksgiving.
Psalm 69:30
 
 Perhaps the key to giving thanks isn't in the thanks. Perhaps the key to giving thanks is actually in the giving. 
 
Perhaps when we give . . . of our time, of our money, of our talents, of our love . . . we aren't simply giving.  We are living out the gratitude in our hearts.  We are living thankfully.  And in that, we aren't simply whispering a "Thank you" to our God.  We aren't simply offering him a fleeting moment of worship as we look around to take stock of the blessings he has provided - family, friends, home, health, food, freedom. 
 
When we live thankfully, we shout from the rooftops and scream from the valleys and holler from the nations that
we will give to serve the One who gave it all for us. 
 
No, I don't think the key to giving thanks is really in the thanks at all. 
 
It's in the giving.  
 
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, my friends!  May your extended family not drive you crazy, may the calories not count at all, and may we all find a way to live out the gratitude in our hearts this holiday season.