About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Friday, October 18, 2013

A River Runs Through It

So this precious woman who knows God way better than I do recently spoke at my weekly Bible study.  She shared the parable of the river, which was originally authored by Max Lucado.  Now, people have disputed this parable as having little relation to the scripture Lucado intended to explain (Romans 1), but I happened to find it incredibly interesting because, well, let’s just say I saw myself right smack in the middle of it.

In the parable of the river, there are five brothers who live with their father in a mountain castle.  The father warns his sons about the dangers of a nearby river, but, as expected, only the oldest one heeds the warning.  Hey, I totally get this guy.  Typical first born.  We know the rules, folks, and by golly we follow them.    
Of course, the other four brothers aren’t such people pleasers.  They just have to check that river out.  Sure enough, the river sweeps them all away and they end up miles downstream, far from the mountain castle they called home, and from their loving father.

The first brother isn’t too concerned with the migration his disobedience has forced upon him.  In fact, he decides to indulge himself and make friends with the natives in this new land.  They are sinful people, and he joins right in and settles down with them, laying roots in a place he never should have been. 
Ever done that?  Washed yourself free of goodness to exist among a crowd?

I’m a first-born, a rule follower, a people pleaser.  Still, I can’t say ‘no’.  I’ve been swept away plenty of times.  I’ve been swept away by guilt and envy and gluttony and greed and the list goes on and on my friends.  That raging river is a constant in my life, tugging me from the shores of truth into a roaring flood, where the dark swirls all around me and I can’t find the surface to catch my breath.  I’m drowning in that river of worldly desires.  Every day, it threatens to pull me under.
The second brother watches his sinful sibling from afar, noticing every misstep, keeping track of all the things he’s doing wrong while priding himself for staying away from the potential pitfalls of their new surroundings.  

Been there?  Pointed fingers without ever pausing to glance in the mirror?
Once again, my answer isn’t the one I’d like it to be.  I’ve observed from a distance more times than I can count, smiling and nodding and comparing while refusing to engage in what I believe to be someone else’s poor choices.  I’ve stood back, silently watching another stumble as I counted myself more faithful, more loving, more loyal . . . better.  Better because I wasn’t speaking aloud what my head was thinking?  Better because my hands refused to act on the stirrings of my heart?  Better because I thought I belonged in the judge’s seat, when the truth is, we’re all on trial with the only Judge, and we’re all acquitted if we simply choose to stop issuing our own verdicts and listen to His decree instead.   I’ve held gavels when I should have been holding hands.

The third brother wants to go home.  He feels badly for ignoring his father’s warnings about the river, and begins laying rocks to make a path back to the mountain castle.  He labors and toils, exerting all his energy into advancing, moving forward, making progress.  He doesn’t let up, hauling his load and pushing himself to perform and working and working and working to reach his goal.

Ever do such a thing?  Going and doing and giving all for a gift that doesn’t require anything but one small step of faith?
I am trying to earn God’s grace.  I am trying to buy it with my words and pay for it with my actions and deserve it with my life.  And it’s free.  He never meant for redemption to have anything to do with me.  It’s always been about Him.  He came to the earth as a baby to find me.  He shared the truth to show me.  And he gave up his life to free me.  I can lay rocks all day long every day of my life, but they will never get me where I want to go.  My sweat and tears and efforts warrant nothing but exhaustion.  They won’t ever make me worthy.  They won’t ever win me merit.  Salvation is a gift.  It is the single greatest gift ever given.  And all I have to do to receive it . . . is receive Him.

The fourth brother does nothing.  He sits by the fire alone . . . waiting . . . certain his father will come for him despite the fact that he disobeyed.  Soon, the oldest brother arrives instead, embracing his younger sibling.

“I have come to take you home.”
The first-born son, there on behalf of the father, proposing forgiveness of sin, offering himself as the single solution.  And the brother by the fire does the only thing necessary to get back to his loving father . . . he allows the first-born son to carry him there.

Lord, how I want to be like that last brother, the one who sits patiently by the fire of your glory, filled with the warmth of faith in your goodness, certain that the one who says, “Follow me”, is the only one I need to hear.  I want to stop embracing sin and criticizing others and striving for salvation, and instead, I want to crawl into your arms . . . and lean my head on your shoulder . . . and fold myself into your boundless peace.  For only then will I find the grace I seek.  Only then will I find my way home.