About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Friday, January 4, 2013


1 Thessalonians 5:17  Pray without ceasing.

It's one of the shortest verses in the entire Bible.   And despite my inability to fully comprehend many of the things in the Bible, this one's about as straight forward as it gets.  Still, all I can say about it is . . . you can NOT be serious.

Pray without ceasing.  Are you kidding me?  Do you know how many things I cease to do each day?  The list is long, my friends, I assure you.  And I’m not all that great at praying.  I do it frequently, as in many times a day, but no one would ever classify me as a prayer warrior.  Those people can pray.  They can recite Bible verses like I can recite old Madonna songs.  They can sit with their heads bowed interceding on behalf of others for hours.  They know exactly which name of God to call on for every situation.  Their words are flowing and beautiful and Spirit-filled. 
My prayers, while numerous, are a lot less meaningful.  My prayers go something like this:

“Lord, please let Charlie score a basket in the second half.”
Lord, please help Libby do her own hair in a way that convinces people she really does have an adult living in the home with her .”

“Lord, please turn me into a C cup.” 
Just kidding with that last one.  I gave up on the God of chest size a long time ago.

I’m a bit more intentional when I pray at night, lying in bed next to my husband who has fallen asleep exactly 3.2 seconds after putting his head on the pillow.  I pray for the safety and health of my family and friends.  I pray for people I know who are sick and hurting.  I pray for my husband’s career.  I pray Charlie and Libby will be good friends and make good friends.  I pray for their future college roommates and their future spouses and their future children and grandchildren. 
These are all good prayers, I guess, and they're important to me, so I know without a doubt they are important to God.  But what if I’m not taking this whole prayer thing seriously?  What if my inability to call myself a prayer warrior is really evidence that I doubt God’s ability to truly move in people’s hearts?  To change me?  To transform the world?  Our God is a God of miracles, after all.  Yet, I’m not asking for miracles.  I’m so focused on my own little life and the lives of the people in my immediate circle that I never stop to ask for the REALLY big things. 

In Ephesians 3:20, it says, "To Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think . . ."

How incredibly beautiful is that verse.  

Why do I so often forget the power of God and his infinite capability?  God can do ANYTHING.  He can do the most amazing things . . . things I never even dreamed of asking Him to do.

Wow. 
The new year has begun, and like most people, I have a lengthy list of resolutions for 2013.  I want to relax more.  I want to read more.  I want to smile more and serve more and save more and I want to provide my husband with more meals that don't involve a blender (I'm afraid smoothies have become a frequent dinner choice around these parts lately).  I also want to pray with more purpose.  I want to remember what God can do, and pray with a more far-reaching mentality.  Because there are a whole lot of people in this great big world who need God's awesomeness and power.  There are a whole lot of communities and countries and continents that need me to remember just how much God can do. 

In Matthew 19:26, Jesus said, " . . . with God all things are possible."

This year, I want to remember the possibilities. 

This year, I want my prayers to go from "Lord, please let me make this green light" to "Lord, I could really go for some world peace."   
It’s worth a try . . . don’t ya think?
James 1:6   But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.