About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012


There’s just something about election day in America. 
I woke up to much colder than normal temperatures and lots of rain in suburban Atlanta this morning.  Not a great day to get out and place a vote, in my extremely warm-blooded opinion. There had been much talk in recent weeks about hours of waiting, so anticipating the worst, I bundled up in my finest winter gear and begrudgingly headed to my local elementary school, prepared for a long and frustrating morning.  I found a parking space more easily than I expected, and headed towards the door holding my broken umbrella at just the right angle to ward off the rain. 

What a pain, I thought, I could be sipping a warm cup of coffee in my coziest robe right now.
Only minutes later, I was surrounded by strangers turned friends, smiling and chatting as we prepared to exercise our right . . . our privilege . . . to participate in choosing the next leader of our great nation.  No one complained about the rain.  No one fussed about standing for an hour in a long line.  We weren’t male or female, old or young, rich or poor, white or black.   It didn’t matter who was voting for Obama and who was voting for Romney, and honestly, it shouldn’t.  God knows exactly who will win the election today.  He wrote it as part of that man’s story and as part of the greater story – His story.  The man who is named our next President will simply play a role in fulfilling God’s plan for the United States, whatever that may be.

Hopefulness abounded in the precinct I visited this morning.  It was palpable. I could feel the patriotism running through my veins.  I actually had goose bumps as I walked forward to make my selections in my personal voting booth, coat in hand, rain boots clunking on the cafeteria floor.  And to think I allowed a little bad weather to make me consider skipping this remarkable event? 
Shame on me. 

I am proud to be an American.  I am grateful to live in a country where the citizens have an opportunity to make their voices known.  I am thankful there are two men who want the incredible responsibility of leading over three-hundred million people for the next four years – what a daunting desire.  
Whoever wins the election of 2012, I will celebrate the fact that I had the chance to choose his name.  Because I know the next President of the United States of America, whether his name is Obama or Romney, wants only what is best for our country.  Lest I forget . . . it’s his country too.  Our next President is a husband and a father and an American.  I will agree with some of his ideas and disagree with others.  Some of his policies will make me smile and some will make me cringe.  He will do many good things and make many mistakes.  I will love him or hate him, but above all, I will respect him.  And tomorrow . . . and every day after . . . I will pray for him and for our country.  

1 Timothy 2:1-2  First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,  for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.