About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Monday, October 1, 2012


Ahhhhhhhh.  I do believe Fall has arrived.

WOOHOO!!! Fall is finally here!

Hallelujah and praise the Lord.  It's Fall.

Hot dog, dem leaves isa changin!  I reckon it's 'bout time to say 'Happy Fall Y'all'!!!

However you want to announce it, there is some serious rejoicing going on in my hometown this month, and I'm proud to be among the revelers.

In Atlanta, Fall doesn't ever creep in through the backdoor and take residents by surprise.  In Atlanta, the arrival of Fall is a long awaited, much anticipated transformation.  After months of temperatures frequently beginning with the number '9,' Fall is a welcome reprieve that comes just in the nick of time, and makes Georgia residents forget the August humidity so fast they've bought a new pair of boots in every color less than a month after Labor Day.  
The change of seasons is truly one of the best assets of my hometown.  Sure, we might have the longest rush hours in the country and pictures of Atlanta could be featured next to the words "urban sprawl" on Wikipedia, but we have Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall people, and if ever there were four blessings to be counted, those four are certainly at the top of my list.

Each of our distinct seasons has its advantages.  A winter snow day in Atlanta is nothing short of magical - there is a peace that descends on the city when the Georgia pines are coated in ice that makes you believe all is right in the world.  In the Spring, the blooming daffodils are followed by the red buds are followed by the dogwoods are followed by the cherry trees are followed by the azaelas are followed by the tulips, and now the world isn't just right, it's full of possibility.   Next comes summer, and though the steering wheel in your car can give you second degree burns, school is out and the pools are open and everyone runs around in flip flops eating popsicles and ice cream.   And then, just when you don't think you can handle one more day of the oppressive heat, you step outside in late September, and your breath catches in your throat as you feel it against your skin - that unmistakable crispness in the air.

Fall.

It's my favorite season.  Life is truly lovely in September, October, and November.  And December. Because, hey, that's the beauty of living in northeastern Georgia. The last few weeks have had people planting mums and buying gourds, and I wake up each day craving a pumpkin spice latte and an afternoon spent watching college football.  There is the anticipation of the rapidly approaching holidays and the smell of apple cider and the opportunity to wrap up in a cozy fleece blanket in the evenings.  And the leaves . . .the colors are so spectacular, so stunningly vibrant they could never be duplicated by a human hand. 

In Matthew 6:30 it says . . . If God pays that much attention to the appearance of what he creates in nature, don't you think he'll do his best for you? 
 
When something comes along in the next few months to bring me down . . . to make me doubt my beauty . . . to make me doubt my worth . . . to make me doubt God . . . 

I'm going to walk outside . . .

And I'm going to see the pumpkins and the mums . . .

And I'm going to feel the cool breeze brush my face . . .

And I'm going to stare at the glorious burgundies and oranges and yellows filling my backyard where there once was only green . . .

And I will remember why I love Fall.  I will remember why it's my favorite season.  Because Fall feeds my faith. I hope and pray it feeds yours as well. 

HAPPY FALL FRIENDS!!!