About Me

My photo
Former educator and current wife, mom, daughter, and friend. Really, I'm just a southern girl trying to live the happiest, healthiest life I can. I do it with the help of those who know me best and love me anyway - God, my family, and my friends.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Everyone remembers.  Ask anyone over the age of twenty, and she can likely tell you where she was that horrific morning.  Eleven years ago today, I was in an elementary school in a northern suburb of Atlanta.  I was waiting for a group of eight-year-old struggling readers to enter my classroom, sit down at a kidney shaped table, and begin the demanding process of decoding words in a language that was not native to them.  I thought it a noble job.  I believed I was making a difference.
Nine-hundred miles away there were other teachers in other classrooms doing similar things: grading papers, planning lessons, preparing materials, praying for patience.  Over a decade later, I’m sure they can easily recall what they were doing the precise moment an airplane flew into the World Trade Center.  In fact, I imagine their memory is much more astute than mine.  They heard the blast.

The rest of that day exists only as a blur in my mind.  When I attempt to remember, I simply see snapshots of my students faces mingled with the disturbing images of airplanes and smoke and fire and buildings crumbling to the ground as though they were made of sand. 
In the days that followed, I watched more television than I’ve ever watched in my life, desperate for answers like everyone else.  How could such a terrible thing happen?  Why would anyone desire death for a complete stranger?  Where in the world do we go from here, now that we have witnessed the depth of disgust one human being can have for another?

More than ten years later, pieces of the puzzle have been painfully constructed.  We now have a warped picture of the events of that day – a story showing a legacy of hatred that goes back thousands of years.  There are names and faces of those who died and those who killed them.  There are facts and statistics about the speed of planes and the gallons of fuel and the tons of rubble.  We watch documentaries and feel a familiar anguish as our stomachs twist into knots of confusion, fear, and sadness.  We are filled with despair over a tragedy so immense it will forever cast a shadow of doubt about the safety of our nation.  And as the tears fall yet again, we are confounded with the same questions. 
How . . . and why? 

The answers have never really come.  I suppose they never will.
Yet every year in September, I’m reminded of something besides the needless death and destruction that will always exist in a world where there is evil.  Every year in September, I remember that as I walk through the activities and duties of my day under the banner of freedom America provides, there are heroes who walk among me.  

They are real people.  Normal people.  They have jobs and spouses and kids and mortgages and problems, like the rest of us.  But one day, when the time comes for me to explain the true definition of ‘hero’ to my own children, I will point to these people.  I will share the story of September 11 with Charlie and Libby, and as the memories of that day overwhelm me with grief, I will hold my children close and tell them about the firemen who ran towards the fire.  I will tell them about the passengers who stormed the cockpit of an aircraft moving five-hundred miles per hour.  I will tell them about the employees who rushed back into the burning buildings. I will tell them about the doctors who raced to the crime scene with as many supplies as they could carry.  I will tell them about the police officers who worked endless hours searching for survivors.  I will tell them about the citizens who showed up with water and food and comfort, unwavering in their determination to help. 
September 11, 2001 was an awful day.  It will go down in the history of the United States as one of the worst days ever.  It was a day when the threat of terrorism became an appalling reality.   It was a day when thousands of people lost their lives and thousands more lost people they loved.  It was a day most of us will never forget.  Still, I think the most important thing about September 11 is the fact that it wasn’t just a dreadful day.  It was also a day when normal people became heroes.